Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Reasons to be Thankful


I've always been amazed that Thanksgiving in the US is even bigger than Christmas, celebrated every 4th Thursday of November it is a time when families come together and celebrate the harvest for the year.

In China, there is a similar harvest celebration called the Mid-Autumn festival which is held on the 15th day of the eighth month in the Chinese calendar.

In both Western and Eastern cultures, it is an opportunity to celebrate with family and friends, often returning home for the traditional dinner gathering with turkey or moon cakes depending on which part of the world you are in, it's often a time where people list down and share with their families what they are thankful for.

It struck me that while we've had a chance to celebrate both these occasions at least once, I've never written down the things that I'm thankful.

Now I know that both thanksgiving and the mid-autumn festival are over but better late than never.  So here goes, here is my list of reasons to be thankful.

  • For the grace of God through Jesus Christ, who even while I was a sinner loved me and died for my sins (Romans 5:8).
  • For my wife, who always amazes me in her ability to multitask - taking care of our household, while at the same time working.
  • For my kids, who all have their own unique lovable personalities.
  • For my parents and parents in laws, brothers and brothers-in-law, sister and sisters-in-law for their collective advise, concern, support, laughter and company.
  • Thankful for my friends, who encourage, who pray and who hold me accountable for my convictions.
  • For my co-workers, who tirelessly work alongside of me to make a positive difference to society.
Wow, just writing down this short list has made me realize, how blessed my life has been despite the valleys and dark patches of loss, anger, grief and regret...I have many people and relationships to be thankful for.  

I can attest to God's promise in Romans 8:28, "And we know that God causes everything to work together for the good of those who love God and are called according to his purpose for them."

How about you?  Who and what are you thankful for? Why not tell them about it?

Why not start with God who the psalmist thanked in Psalm 100:
Shout with joy to the Lord, all the earth!
    Worship the Lord with gladness.
    Come before him, singing with joy.
Acknowledge that the Lord is God!
    He made us, and we are his.
    We are his people, the sheep of his pasture.
Enter his gates with thanksgiving;
    go into his courts with praise.
    Give thanks to him and praise his name.
For the Lord is good.
    His unfailing love continues forever,
    and his faithfulness continues to each generation.

Happy Thanksgiving!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Godbless po, you and your family.