Saturday, June 2, 2012

Which race are you running?


Are the pressures of life getting the best of you?

When I feel stressed, I ask myself the question, "Glenn, which race are you running?" to remind me that I don't have to and want to keep up with the Joneses.

You see the world teaches us to "buy things that we don't need with money we don't have to impress people we don't like."  We know that success doesn't look anything like that, but we are often bombarded with these type of messages that we believe them to be true.

I feel the pressures of life because my perspective is centered around - what "I" want.  Asking myself the question, helps me keep life in the proper perspective, that it's not about what I have and don't have, that it's not about where I live or don't live, it's not what I drive or don't drive.

What is the right perspective?  The bible says in 2 Corinthians 4:18, "So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen, since what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal."

Glenn guess what LIFE:  It's not about you.  Instead my eyes must focus on what is unseen and eternal, not things that are temporary.

So what does it mean to have an eternal perspective?

Matthew 6:19-20 says, “19 Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moths and vermin destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. 20 But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moths and vermin do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal.”

Colossians 3:2 says, “Set your minds on things that are above, not on things that are on earth.”

So what are treasures in heaven and things that are above?

I believe that the answer is found when Jesus was asked, "“Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the Law?”

He answered, "Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind. This is the first and greatest commandment."

So treasures in heaven and setting our minds on things that are above means that we are to love the Lord our God with all our heart, with everything we've got and in everything we do.

If we do then we will be able to love our enemies and pray for those who hurt us.

If we do then we can give, give and give of our time, talents and treasure until we can't give anymore.

If we do then we can find courage, peace and strength even in the most difficult circumstances.

In the impossible, we don't feel pressured, because we know that life is not about us and our wants.

So next time you are feeling pressured, ask yourself the question, "Which race am I running?" and be reminded that life is not about YOU, it's about God and its about loving HIM - having a perspective of ETERNITY with Him.

When you do, then you can overcome what in man's eyes are impossible circumstances.  Instead of life's pressures getting the best of you, you will get the best of life.

God's promise can be found in Matthew 6:33 where Jesus says, "Seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things will be added to you.”

No comments: