Sunday, March 4, 2012

In life - Are we asking the right questions?

I am learning this week that we go about life asking the wrong questions.

Like "where" should I live, instead of "who" I should live with or "what" career or trade should I pursue, instead of "who" I should learn them from.

Afterall, in life it's not so much where you live, but who you live with that counts. It's much more than what trade you pursue, but who are the mentors that are going to be able to help you grow and learn what truly matters in life.

We often ask ourselves the where and the what first instead of the who...and we realize that after we have answered these questions that it is the wrong question to ask and that it is the "who" that matters.

In our country especially, where more than 10% of our population have gone overseas in pursuit of a better life - the question often asked are where in the world should I find work and what career pays the most, only to realize when we are abroad that the Philippines is a much better place to be, because we miss spending time with our families, who matter the most.

We try to buy (the what) stuff which we send through balikbayan boxes to make up for the lost relationship (the who)...that's why I love the Coke youtube video that went viral over Christmas, because it shows me that people are starting to ask the right questions.

In life what matters first and foremost are the people who you choose to spend your life with, where you go and what you do only matter if you have been able to answer this first question.

It is the same with eternity - we ask which church should I go (where) or what things should I do to go to heaven, but we don't ask who should I believe.

The answer is probably in the most famous verse in the Bible, John 3:16 which says, "For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life."

The answer to eternal life is not in the "where" nor the "what" but in believing the "who" Christ Jesus. We don't see the answer, because we ask the wrong question.

Friend, consider asking the right question about life and about eternity and I guarantee you that it will make all the difference.

No comments: